Desert Sports’ Response to COVID-19
Be SAFE, have FUN and be OUTDOORS!
- Extra precautions are being taken by the Desert Sports’ staff to sanitize the shop, restroom, equipment, vehicles, and other areas of contact before and after your visit.
- Masks or face coverings will be worn by guests and staff members in the shop, in shuttle vehicles, and in outdoor instances (i.e. a day trip lunch scene) that preclude the 6-foot social distance.
- Keep a Social Distance of at least 6 feet whenever possible.
- Frequently wash your hands or use hand sanitizer, if hand washing is not available. (We encourage you to bring your own Hand Sani, too.)
- In addition to reading and signing a Release of Liability form, all guests will be required to complete and sign a COVID-19 Questionnaire and Release Form before a trip.
Please be aware of your potential impacts on the small communities you may travel through on your trip. The same measures we take to minimize the spread of the novel coronavirus on our trips need to also take place while traveling. Physical distancing, using a face covering when you’re close to others outside of your travel unit, avoiding crowded places like restaurants & bars, and not traveling at all if you have symptoms are important elements of this plan. We also recommend driving instead of flying if at all possible. An outbreak in a small community could end your river trip and work for our employees—but more importantly it could be devastating for that community.
We strongly recommend that people at higher risk for severe illness from COVID-19 SHOULD NOT GO on backcountry trips. High risk individuals include, but are not limited to, people with the following conditions:
- Over 65 years of age
- Chronic lung disease or moderate to severe asthma
- Severely obese
- Diabetes, chronic kidney disease, or undergoing dialysis
- Liver disease
- Other immunocompromised individuals (HIV, undergoing cancer treatment, or other underlying medical conditions)